20 mins + setting time
Robern Menz Products:
Caramel Violet Crumble, custard and croissants- what more could a Mum want this Mother's Day! This tasty dish is sure to please Mum's tastebuds... the rest of the family will be hoping she decides to share!
- 170g bag Caramel Violet Crumble Cubes
- 40g butter, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 300ml thickened cream
- 1/2 cup custard powder
- 8 Small Croissants
- 1/3 cup caster sugar
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Place croissants on a large baking tray and bake for 5 minutes. Once removed from oven leave to cool and they will crisp up.
- In a saucepan whisk the custard powder, caster sugar and 1 ⁄4 cup milk together until smooth. Stir in the cream and remaining milk. Place over medium/low heat and cook for 10 minutes, whisking as the mixture thickens and comes to a simmer. Once simmering, stir constantly for 1 minute. Lastly, whisk in the butter until combined.
- Pour the custard mixture into a heatproof bowl and allow to cool until mixture is slightly warm. Stir often to prevent a skin forming.
- While the mixture is cooling, grease a slice tray and line base and sides with baking paper. Cut the croissants in half horizontally and arrange enough croissant bottom halves, cut side up, over the base of the tray. You can cut any remaining croissants into small pieces and fill in any gaps with these.
- Pour the custard mixture over the croissants and use a spatula to spread the layer evenly and cover any gaps. Smash half a bag of Violet Crumble Caramel cubes (I use a meat tenderizer but you can be as creative as you like!) and sprinkle over the custard. If you’ve used a large tray, you may need to use more than half a bag of Violet Crumble Cubes. Place the croissant top halves to cover the Violet Crumble and custard.
- Allow to set in the fridge for 2 hours, slice up and enjoy!